A finance and commercial litigator, Ryan G. Milligan couples early case assessment with proactive strategy and case management to help clients navigate litigation. Ryan has represented financial institutions in securitization and corporate trust litigation, appeals, class actions, defense of state and federal statutory claims, adversary proceedings, and other defensive litigation.
Ryan also represents public and private businesses in a variety of civil litigation. Ryan has experience representing financial institutions in multiple jurisdictions in their roles as trustees, payment administrators, servicers and similar capacities.
Ryan has been involved in trust instruction proceedings and defense of claims involving mortgage repurchases and breach of fiduciary, contractual, and statutory duties. His experience includes a trust instruction proceeding related to a multibillion-dollar RMBS settlement.
Ryan has represented financial institutions and other business entities in state and federal court appeals involving lien priority disputes, federal consumer protection statutes, foreclosure defense and privacy statutes.
In one matter, Ryan’s work led to reversal of a trial court order denying lien priority to a multimillion-dollar commercial mortgage and upholding a trial court order dismissing claims under the FDCPA.
Ryan also defends clients against class actions involving claims under the UCC and consumer protection statutes, obtaining dismissal of a putative FDCPA class action. Ryan is experienced in defending lender liability and consumer protection claims against financial institutions.
His experience includes defending claims of fraud, enforceability of loan documents, and state and federal consumer protection statutes, such as Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
Ryan has litigated a wide variety of civil disputes in both state and federal court at the trial and appellate levels. Ryan has experience with complex financial models, bankruptcy preference actions and adversary proceedings, commercial foreclosures and receiverships, Uniform Commercial Code, contract disputes, trade secrets, and fiduciary duty.
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D. cum laude, Journal of College and University Law (executive articles editor) (2009)
- Indiana University, B.S. in Business Administration (2001)
Bar Admissions : Illinois, Michigan
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Civic Activities :
- Leadership South Bend/Mishawaka — Class XL, 2014
- Habitat for Humanity — Board of Directors, 2012-18; Board Officer, 2015-18
- St. Pius X Catholic Church — Parish Council, 2011-13; Strategic Planning Committee, 2011; Financial Resources Committee
Rate : $$$