Ryan Nilsen is a partner in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Products Liability Practice. He is a trial lawyer with more than 17 years of experience defending manufacturers of products. Whether it’s an ATV crash in California, medical-device dispute in Minnesota, or warehouse fire in Maryland, Ryan is the lawyer for all time zones.
He prioritizes client service and partnership, takes pride in understanding his client’s goals, and recognizes the increasing strain on legal budgets and the importance of predictability in costs, advocating for creative fee arrangements.
With complex litigation experience in 43 states—and Canada—Ryan has expertise in consumer product, medical device, and off-road vehicle industries, and is licensed in California, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The following provides a snapshot of his experience :
- Coordinated fire claims investigation and resolution nationwide for off-road vehicle manufacturer.
- Negotiated settlement for water treatment manufacturer in $85 million spoiled-carrots case in California.
- Successfully argued appeal to Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of off-road vehicle manufacturer.
- Resolved significant injury cases for off-road vehicle manufacturers, involving traumatic burn injuries, amputations, and death.
- Led investigation and developed legal response for building products manufacturer into alleged defects in fire-safing panels used in high-rise construction throughout United States.
- Represented insulation manufacturer in $4.5 million claim arising out of alleged defects at cryogenic plant in New York.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2000
- University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1997
- State Bar Admissions : California, Minnesota
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Defense Research Institute leadership roles, including Product Liability Committee Marketing Chair (2014)
- Product Liability Committee Liaison to Industry (2015)
- Chair of Chemical and Toxic Tort SLG (2010-2012)
- Product Liability Steering Committee (2008-2015)
Rate : $$$$