While clerking at the Supreme Court of Texas, Ryan Paulsen gained an appreciation for excellent appellate advocacy, learning by observation how to craft written arguments that resonate with judges and advocate for clients in the give-and-take of oral argument. Ryan now applies that experience to successfully represent his clients in both state and federal court.
Specifically, Ryan has worked on appeals that overturned a liquidated damages judgment at the Texas Supreme Court, reversed an employment discrimination judgment at the Dallas Court of Appeals, and affirmed a favorable summary judgment ruling at the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ryan has also assisted successful trial teams, including obtaining a unanimous jury verdict and associated judgment vindicating the client’s rights in sensitive trade secrets.
Ryan also values opportunities to apply his skills to benefit the community. Working pro bono, Ryan helped one client overturn an order of dismissal on appeal to the Fifth Circuit and enabled another client and his family to obtain refuge from political oppression in their home country of Ethiopia. Ryan also serves actively in his local congregation.
Professional and Community Activities:
- State Bar of Texas, Appellate Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin School of Law, 2007, with high honors; Order of the Coif
- B.S., Brigham Young University, 2003, magna cum laude
ADMISSIONS : Texas
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Rate : $$$