Ryan C. Tuley’s practice focuses on representing clients in complex insurance coverage, bad faith, and business litigation matters. He also devotes a significant amount of his time to advising clients regarding insurance coverage issues under directors and officers, errors and omissions, professional liability, employment practices liability, and commercial general liability policies.
Ryan regularly litigates coverage and other disputes in federal and state courts nationwide and has handled a large variety of matters from the pre-litigation stage through discovery, trial, and appeal.
Representative Matters :
- Representing and advising an insurer in a breach of insurance contract action filed by a major electronics box store related to an underlying fee dispute.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a reimbursement action against an insured for uncovered defense expenses associated with a multi-million dollar underlying fee dispute.
- Representing and advising an insurer in a coverage action against other insurers to properly allocate a multi-million underlying settlement involving individuals seriously injured in a construction accident.
- Representing and advising insurer in connection with a multi-million dollar excess verdict rendered against a policyholder attorney who allegedly allowed a medical device patent to lapse.
- Successfully litigated a rescission action under a professional liability errors and omissions policy based on various misrepresentation made by the insured during the application process.
- Successfully obtained judgment following a bench trial in an equitable contribution action against another insurer for defense fee and cost payments associated with an underlying lawsuit arising out of a landslide.
- Represented a first party insurer and negotiated a favorable settlement in a bad faith lawsuit arising out of alleged mold contamination at the insured’s property.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of a fraud claim against a law firm, and subsequently obtained a ruling from the California Court of Appeal affirming the summary judgment order.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1998
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1995
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Rate : $$$$