S. Derek Bauer is a trial lawyer with a concentration on healthcare and media litigation, and regularly handles high-profile and complex commercial litigation matters involving healthcare regulatory, real estate, media and First Amendment issues. Derek is currently President of the Federal Bar Association, Atlanta Chapter.
As the Chair of the firm’s National Health Care Litigation Team of more than 30 litigators, Derek helps hospital systems, physician practices, imaging providers, pharmacies and other provider-side entities resolve their commercial and regulatory disputes.
Derek also helps news media, entertainment and other content providers protect their and the public’s freedom to access, create and receive information, including defending print and broadcast defamation and privacy claims and ensuring news media rights of access and protection of confidential sources. Derek is general counsel for the Georgia Association of Broadcasters.
- Counsel for medical practice in complete defense trial verdict on fraud claim, including obtaining sanctions award of more than $405,000 in fees and expenses of litigation incurred in the defense of the case. Abdalla v. Atlanta Nephrology Referral Center, No. A16A0560, __ Ga. App. __ (2016)
- Counsel for medical device implant benefit management company in multiple successful arbitrations to recover millions of dollars in payments owed by national payors.
- Counsel for Tegna and 11Alive News in successful motion to unseal the autopsy report of Bobbi Kristina Brown in connection with investigative news report regarding epidemic heroin use among young adults in metro Atlanta.
- Lead trial and appellate counsel for Hustler magazine in a right of publicity claim arising from publication of a news article and images of the late Nancy Benoit, a well-known professional wrestler and victim of a highly publicized murder in 2007.
- Counsel for VH1 in obtaining summary judgment on claim for defamacast arising from broadcast episodes of the reality show Love and Hip Hop Atlanta.
- Federal Bar Association, Atlanta Chapter, President (2016)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia, Intrastate Moot Court Committee: Former Chairman
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2000, with honors
- B.A., Tulane University, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$$