S. Mohsin Reza is a Counsel in the firm’s Consumer Financial Service and Financial Services Litigation practices, and he focuses on representing financial institutions and other corporate clients in commercial, consumer, and lender liability disputes.
Mohsin has significant experience litigating claims brought under federal consumer protection statutes including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (“ECOA”) and Regulation B (“Reg B”), the Truth-in-Lending Act (“TILA”) and Regulation Z (“Reg Z”), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), and Regulation X (“Reg X”).
Mohsin also has significant experience in litigation involving disputes under state consumer protection laws, including the Uniform Commercial Code (“UCC”), the Virginia Consumer Protection Act (“VCPA”), the Maryland Consumer Protection Act (“MCPA”), the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act (“MCDCA”), and the District of Columbia Consumer Protection Procedures Act (“CPPA”).
Mohsin serves as lead and local counsel in matters pending in the state and federal courts of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. He represents small and large businesses against claims of negligence, breach of contract, fraud, civil conspiracy, and business torts.
In particular, Mohsin also has significant experience representing parties in intellectual property litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. He also represents clients in estate litigation and probate matters in the courts of Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Mohsin is an appellate attorney in addition to a trial attorney. He has argued successfully before the United States Court of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit, the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, and the D.C. Court of Appeals.
Representative Matters :
- SunTrust Bank v. PS Business Parks, L.P., 292 Va. 644, 791 S.E.2d 571 (2016) (reversing judgment in garnishment dispute between bank and judgment creditor).
- Ramos v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 289 Va. 321, 770 S.E.2d 491 (2015) (affirming dismissal of claim for breach of contract alleging failure to hold face-to-face meeting required under 24 C.F.R. § 203.604).
- Best v. Driscoll, No. 0959, 2015 Md. App. LEXIS 253 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. June 15, 2015) (affirming denial of borrower’s motion to stay and dismiss foreclosure case and dismissal of borrower’s counterclaim).
- G&D Furniture Holdings, Inc. v. SunTrust Bank, TDC-16-2020, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 178284 (D. Md. Dec. 22, 2016) (dismissing contract, conversion, and fiduciary duty claims arising out of garnishment dispute).
- Best Medical International, Inc. v. Wells Fargo Inc. NA, 82 Va. Cir. 502 (Fairfax County 2011) (sustaining demurrer to plaintiffs’ disparate impact claim under the Virginia Equal Credit Opportunity Act and claim for breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing).
- Mahjor v. Greenpoint Mortg. Funding, Inc., No. 1:17cv-498, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 97717 (E.D. Va. June 23, 2017) (granting motion to dismiss claims challenging the enforcement of an alleged fraudulently originated mortgage).
- Englert v. The Bank of N.Y. Mellon, No. 1:16cv1043, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 48593 (E.D. Va. Mar. 29, 2017) (denying breach of contract claims alleging misapplication of loan payments and wrongful placement of force-place insurance).
- Rivera v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., No. 1:15cv1703, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 41744 (E.D. Va. Mar. 29, 2016) (dismissing claim for breach of contract alleging failure to hold face-to-face meeting required under 24 C.F.R. § 203.604).
Professional Experience : Law Clerk, The Honorable John F. Anderson, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2008
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2007,
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2002
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
Rate : $$$