Sailesh Kanu Patel is partner of Schiff Hardin LLP. Generic pharmaceutical manufacturers know who to turn to when facing complex Hatch-Waxman patent litigation. As co-leader of Schiff Hardin’s Intellectual Property Group, Sailesh K. Patel also co-chairs the firm’s Pharmaceuticals and Biologics Patent Litigation Team and serves on the firm’s executive committee.
Sailesh is a seasoned trial attorney. He is passionate about implementing creative and scientifically sound arguments for his clients, which has resulted in legal precedent-setting cases.
Sailesh has served as lead counsel on numerous patent infringement litigation matters. With a background in chemical and biomedical engineering, he is familiar with the language of the pharmaceutical industry. Defense against patent infringement requires subject matter experts; Sailesh is skilled at aligning the best experts to successfully defend his clients’ interests.
Sailesh is effective both in trials and in negotiating favorable settlements for his clients. There are many moving parts in patent litigation, and Sailesh is skilled at coordinating multiple parties, experts, and arguments into coherent and persuasive cases. In cases where there are multiple defendants, he represents his clients in a way that makes them stand out from the rest, leading to more favorable results. He also assists companies in Paragraph IV and Biosimilars design strategies, helping his clients protect their scientific discoveries.
He has significant experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications in a variety of technologies beyond pharmaceuticals and biologics. Sailesh has represented clients in cases involving wind and solar technology, food processing, automotive components, and software, among other industries.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1999
- Northwestern University, B.S., 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- Asian American Bar Association of Chicago, Honorary Board Member
- Indian-American Bar Association of Chicago, Advisory Council, Past President
- North American South Asian Bar Association, Former Board of Directors, Intellectual Property Section, Former Chair
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Past Board of Managers
Rate : $$$