Samuel Fifer has extensive experience in the fields of intellectual property, and entertainment and media law, including litigation and counseling. In the area of intellectual property law, Sam has advised a wide variety of clients in the areas of trademark selection, registration, protection and enforcement.
He has advised clients in creating and maintaining programs for identifying, protecting and promoting intellectual property within companies, including creating and promulgating incentive programs. He has counseled clients in negotiating, developing, drafting and implementing licensing and other contractual agreements and has counseled clients in connection with creating and implementing worldwide trademark registration and protection programs.
He also has broad experience in litigating trademark matters, including ex parte and inter partes proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, as well as prosecuting and defending trademark infringement, anti‑dilution and unfair competition claims in state and federal courts and in connection with Internet and domain name disputes, including WIPO UDRP actions.
Sam has advised clients concerning the creation, maintenance and protection of copyright interests. He also has wide experience in litigating copyright matters, including prosecuting and defending copyright infringement litigation claims in federal courts.
Sam has advised clients, including developers of computer software, in the area of protection of rights in technology and has drafted and negotiated agreements for the licensing and transfer of rights in technology.
He has also advised clients in the area of trade secret protection and in connection with the drafting and negotiation of employment agreements, including covenants not to compete. Sam has worked with clients in numerous corporate transactions involving the transfer of rights in intellectual property and technology, and has advised clients with regard to the creation and maintenance of security interests in such rights.
In the field of entertainment law, Sam has advised clients in the areas of motion picture, theatrical and television production and distribution, music, newspaper, magazine and book publishing and syndication and talent and employment agreements and advertising compliance and promotion law.
In the area of media law, Sam has advised clients and handled precedent‑setting litigation in the areas of defamation, rights of privacy and publicity, access to courts, reporters’ rights, subpoena defense and freedom of information.
He also advises clients in the areas of pre‑broadcast and pre‑publication review. For twenty five years, Sam has been identified as among a select group of lawyers in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of First Amendment Law.
Sam has extensive experience handling IP-related projects for several Indian tribes, including IP litigation and oppositions, counseling, trademark disputes and licensing agreements.
- DePaul University College of Law, 1974, JD, cum laude, managing editor, DePaul Law Review, 1973-1974
- Northwestern University, 1971, BS, Communications
Admissions and qualifications:
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- Kapotas v. NBC, et al., Illinois Appellate Court (defending BGA and NBC in defamation action brought by former Cook County Hospital physician)
- Ryan v. Better Government Association, et al., Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois and Illinois Appellate Court (defending BGA in defamation action brought by Cook County Judge)
- Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians v. Cesar Caballero, d/b/a “Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians,” Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (representing Native American tribe in trademark opposition proceeding)
- Magellan Development Group, LLC v. Shelly Stunard, WIPO arbitration (represented development group on a claim for re-assignment of domain name)
- Kristin Biondich v. NBC Subsidiary (WMAQ-TV), Inc., et al., Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois (representing NBC owned station in defense of defamation claims)
- Member, American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on Communications Law
- Elected member, The American Law Institute
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Publications Committee
- Board member, Media Law Resource Center (MLRC)
Rate : $$$