Samuel J. LaRoque, Ph.D. concentrates his practice in intellectual property litigation, with an emphasis on patent matters.
Before entering the legal profession, Sam was a registered patent agent and worked for Robins Kaplan LLP, first as a technical adviser and later as a senior scientist. During his tenure there, Sam performed patent portfolio assessments, assisted in developing patent infringement and invalidity contentions, analyzed inter partes review petitions, and helped prepare technical experts and inventors for statements and depositions.
He has substantial experience in all aspects of high-stakes patent litigation, including infringement mapping, invalidity analysis, and claim construction. He also has advised attorneys on valuation and litigation potential, trial presentation and strategy.
Sam has handled matters in a range of technical fields, including wireless communications, medical imaging, computer hardware and software, internet technologies and semiconductor manufacturing.
Sam holds Ph.D. and master’s degrees in astrophysics from The University of Chicago. For his dissertation, he developed instruments to constrain the density and age of the universe through observations of objects located billions of light years away.
After being awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the National Institutes of Health, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in radiology at the University of Chicago Hospitals.
There, he developed mathematical algorithms for image reconstruction in MRI, implemented software for statistical estimation of tumor properties from CT data, and presented original research at national and international conferences.
- J.D., The University of Kansas School of Law, 2018
- C.C. Stewart Award – First Overall in Class
- Order of the Coif
- University of Kansas Law Review, Articles Editor
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society – Elected by Faculty
- Extern to The Hon. Julie A. Robinson, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Rice Scholar
- Moot Court Council
- National Moot Court Competition
- Winner, Regional Competition
- Best (Regional) Petitioner Brief
- CALI Awards (Alternative Dispute Resolution; Civil Procedure; Criminal Law; Criminal Procedure; Lawyering Skills II; Patent Law)
- Ph.D., University of Chicago, 2005 (Astronomy and Astrophysics)
- Recipient, NASA Graduate Student Researchers Program Fellowship
- M.S., University of Chicago, 2000 (Astronomy and Astrophysics)
- B.A., cum laude, Cornell University, 1998 (Physics)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minneapolis Commodores Barbershop Chorus, Former Board Member
- Chicago Curling Club, Former Member
- Saint Paul Curling Club, Former Member
Rate : $$$$