Samuel M. Bayard focuses on media and intellectual property law, assisting clients in a range of matters, including libel, privacy, copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and First Amendment litigation. In addition to his litigation practice, Sam advises television, film, internet, magazine, newspaper and book-publishing clients on pre-broadcast and pre-publication legal issues.
He provides counseling for television programs, feature films, and other content produced or distributed by Amazon Studios, Netflix, Facebook Watch, HBO, Showtime, VICELAND, Comedy Central, MTV, Funny or Die, Propagate Content, Avalon Television, Above Average Productions, and iTV Studios, with an emphasis on fair-use analysis and libel review for comedy programs, documentaries, and scripted shows.
Among many other productions, Sam has counseled “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” “The Daily Show,” “Wyatt Cenac’s Problem Areas,” “Billions,” “The Romanoffs,” “Too Old To Die Young,” “Transparent,” “The Chris Gethard Show,” “The First 48,” “Desus & Mero,” “Workaholics,” “Lore,” and “Chiraq.” Sam previously was a fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School, where he focused on free-speech issues of importance to online media.
- Fellow, Assistant Director, Citizen Media Law Project, Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., 2007-2010
- Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., 2008-2010
- Litigation Associate, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, New York, N.Y., 2002-2004
- Law Clerk, Hon. Lewis A. Kaplan, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, New York, N.Y., 2001-2002
Professional & Community Activities:
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Pre-Publication Review Committee of the Media Law Resource Center
- Co-founder, Online Media Legal Network (pro bono legal assistance for online journalists and other digital media creators)
- J.D., Cornell Law School, 2001, summa cum laude
- B.A., English Literature, Reed College, 1997
- LL.M., International and Comparative Law, The American University in Cairo, 2006
Rate : $$$$