Samuel Olchyk serves as chair of Venable’s Tax and Retirement Policy Group. Sam advises businesses on federal tax issues involving representation before Congress, the Treasury Department, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and state tax authorities.
With his extensive experience as a tax attorney and certified public accountant (CPA)—including nine years with the tax-writing committees of the U.S. Congress—Sam represents companies with complicated and unusual tax and retirement policy issues.
Sam’s clients, in industries that include hospitality and travel, retail, manufacturing, and financial services, regularly seek his counsel on federal and state tax matters. As a former tax counsel with the Senate Finance Committee, Sam worked on numerous domestic tax policy initiatives affecting corporations and pass-through entities that were enacted into law.
While with the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, Sam assisted members of Congress with the development and analysis of legislative tax proposals.
He also worked on several special reports and investigations conducted by the committee staff, including the Committee’s investigation of Enron, allegations relating to the IRS handling of tax-exempt organizations, and efforts to simplify the federal tax system.
- Legislative Counsel, Joint Committee on Taxation, United States Congress
- Tax Counsel, Senate Finance Committee, United States Congress
- LL.M. New York University School of Law 1987
- J.D. University of Texas School of Law 1985
- B.B.A. University of Texas 1982
Bar Admissions : Texas, District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships :
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Section of Taxation
- Member, District of Columbia Bar (DC Bar), Tax Section
- Author of an in-depth daily compilation of tax policy issues read by industry professionals, clients, congressional offices, and Executive branch officials
- Licensed certified public accountant in the State of Texas
Rate : $$$$