Mr. Samuel I. Portnoy handles a wide range of large-scale business and commercial litigation matters in both state and federal courts throughout New Jersey and New York. His primary areas of focus include securities fraud, common law fraud, and breach of contract.
Mr. Portnoy draws on years of experience in private practice, along with his time as in-house counsel and his work for federal judges, both trial and appellate, in consistently delivering cost-effective, quality services and solutions for the most critical legal problems of some of the firm’s most sophisticated clients.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Portnoy was an associate at Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, where he regularly represented utilities, hedge funds, Fortune 500 companies, and some of the largest financial institutions in the country in connection with civil litigation and in responding to subpoenas issued by federal and state agencies and self-regulatory organizations.
During his time with Davis Polk, Mr. Portnoy was seconded to the New York Mets for the 2009 Major League Baseball season, allowing him the kind of invaluable insight into the client’s perspective on complex commercial litigation that only an in-house counsel position can provide.
Prior to joining Davis Polk, Mr. Portnoy clerked for the Honorable Peter W. Hall, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and interned for the Honorable Allan L. Gropper, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. As a result, Mr. Portnoy is able to provide the firm’s clients with work product and advice informed by virtually every relevant perspective on civil litigation.
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., summa cum laude)
- University of Vermont (B.A.)
- National Political Science Honor Society
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New Jersey Supreme Court
- Fee Arbitration Committee
- Law clerk to the Honorable Peter W. Hall, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2006-2007
- Judicial intern to the Honorable Allan L. Gropper, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, 2004
Rate : $$$