Samuel L. Tarry is a member of the Firm’s Trial Practice Steering Committee and a past chair of the Product and Consumer Litigation department. For more than two decades, he has represented clients in tort, environmental, and public health litigation in state and federal courts across the country, and he has successfully managed thousands of cases to resolution.
Sam has served as punitive damages counsel for a variety of clients when corporate conduct is at issue, coordinating defenses at both the trial and appellate levels. He is a frequent speaker and commentator on issues relating to professional ethics in mass tort litigation.
While earning his LL.M. at Georgetown University Law Center, Sam received the CALI Award for Academic Excellence in Global Health Law. As a law student at the University of Richmond School of Law, he was a member of the National Moot Court team and won best advocate at the Carrico First Year Moot Court Competition. He was also selected by his classmates to deliver the commencement address.
Sam is a former president of the John Marshall Inn of Court. He currently serves as board member of Partnership for the Future, an organization that mentors high-potential high school students from challenging backgrounds and helps them attain college degrees.
- Representation of plaintiff in fraud and civil RICO litigation arising from attorney and physician conduct in the creation of medical evidence in mass tort litigation.
- Representation as Daubert/Frye counsel to the American automotive industry in asbestos litigation, including statewide hearings in Texas and Delaware.
- Representation as coordinating counsel for tort litigation for a national retailer in federal bankruptcy proceedings in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Representation as coordinating and trial counsel for automotive manufacturers in asbestos, benzene and silica litigation.
- Representation as regional coordinating and trial counsel to a transportation company in chemical exposure litigation.
- Representation as science counsel to a paper products manufacturer in chemical exposure litigation.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LLM, Global Health Law, with Distinction, Dean’s List
- University of Richmond School of Law, JD
- University of Virginia, BA
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Committee on Environmental, Energy and Maritime Law, International Association of Defense Council (IADC)
- Member; Product Liability Section Chair, 2000-2001, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member, Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Former Chair, Toxic Tort and Products Liability Section, Lex Mundi, 2010-2011
Rate : $$$