Sandeep “Sandy” Qusba is the Head of the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice of the Firm’s Corporate Department. His practice focuses primarily on restructurings, bankruptcies, acquisition of distressed companies and bank financings.
He has represented agent banks, steering committees, official and ad hoc committees, creditors, private equity sponsors, special committees of boards and portfolio companies in some of the largest Chapter 11 proceedings and out-of-court restructurings in recent years across a wide range of sectors, among them media, real estate, healthcare, energy, automotive, manufacturing and telecommunications.
Recent representations have included:
- Representation of Blackstone in connection with the discounted purchase of loans and the enforcement thereof, resulting in the ultimate ownership of a hotel chain
- Representation of JPMorgan in connection with LightSquared’s Chapter 11 restructuring, including with respect to existing positions and new exit investments
- Representation of Deutsche Bank as agent in the Chapter 11 restructuring of Patriot Coal and its affiliates
- Representation of GSO Capital in connection with its discounted purchase of Velti Inc.’s prepetition secured debt, debtor in possession financing facility and stalking horse purchase
Sandy received his B.A. from Tufts University in 1991 and his J.D., cum laude, from Syracuse University in 1994. He served as a law clerk for Chief Judge Stephen D. Gerling in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Northern District of New York. Sandy regularly speaks on topics related to the bankruptcy industry.
Some of his past speaking engagements have included presentations at the South Asian Bar Association’s 2018 Annual Conference, the American Bankruptcy Institute’s 20th Annual New York City Bankruptcy Conference, a roundtable event hosted by the American College of Bankruptcy and New York University School of Law and the JPMorgan Global High Yield & Leveraged Finance Conference.
Sandy has also been inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy. In addition, he has also been named by Chambers USA as one of the leading lawyers for bankruptcy/restructuring.
- Syracuse University College of Law, 1994 J.D.
- cum laude
- Tufts University, 1991 B.A.
Admissions : New York 1994
Rate : $$$