Sara A. Brubaker’s practice focuses on complex commercial, real estate, and construction litigation with an emphasis on contract and business disputes, including franchisor-franchisee disputes and intellectual property disputes.
Prior to joining Akerman, Sara interned with the in-house counsel department of a Fortune 500 international conglomerate, gaining valuable experience that has informed her emphasis on litigating efficiently to minimize costs. Sara represents plaintiffs and defendants in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and complex class action litigation before state and federal courts.
Sara has experience litigating cases through trial and appeal as well as filing amicus curiae briefs in state and federal appellate courts. Sara is well versed in e-discovery, having managed large data collections, reviews, and productions on behalf of her clients.
Notable Work :
- Commercial Litigation: Represented a limited liability company and member in multi-million dollar dispute involving claims of misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, judicial dissolution and other business torts through a trial victory and subsequent appeals.
- Intellectual Property Litigation: Represented a software startup in a dispute involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with customer relationships; prevailed on a Daubert motion to exclude economic damages expert, which significantly reduced the potential damages from more than $43 million to less than $1 million and resulted in a favorable settlement for her client.
- Franchisor-Franchisee Disputes: Represented, through trial, regional subfranchisor who brought claims against franchisee for breach of contract, fraud, and negligence.
- Appeals: Represented commercial tenant in favorable appeal of landlord-tenant dispute that turned on illegality of lease based on a Florida Supreme Court decision from 1919.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2013, Virginia Journal of International Law, Articles Editor; Dillard Fellow
- B.S., University of Florida, Journalism, 2010, cum laude
- B.A., University of Florida, Anthropology, 2010, cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
Rate : $$$$