Sarah G. Flanagan, a Pillsbury partner, counsels clients on complex claims and disputes, and has won precedent-setting cases in the education, health care and energy areas. As primary counsel in jury and court trials, appellate proceedings, arbitrations, mediations, agency proceedings and government investigations.
Sarah has handled a variety of education, health care, commercial and environmental law disputes and class actions, and has served as counsel for joint defense groups.
She has deep experience in issues related to privacy breaches, unfair business practices, price-fixing, Title IX, employment discrimination and retaliation, faculty tenure, sponsored research, environmental contamination and the Endangered Species Act.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- First-chaired successful mandamus trial of a challenge to a power plant’s discharge permit, and argued case on appeal, securing unanimous California Supreme Court decision establishing favorable law for the industry.
- Led the defense of a hospital in a patient class action involving a high-profile privacy breach related to the work of a vendor, achieving a favorable settlement.
- Handling a variety of Title IX matters for a university, from advising on individual student discipline cases to handling a class action audit by the Office of Civil Rights.
- Defended a university and its hospitals in contract disputes and a variety of student, employee and faculty claims, as well as in health care privacy breach cases and environmental citizen suits.
- Successfully mediated numerous consumer class actions, employment disputes and environmental cost recovery actions and has settled a variety of other business disputes.
Professional and Community Activities :
- Board member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area (2005–2013).
- Board president, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Northern California), 2010, after serving on that board and holding other leadership positions for the preceding 10 years.
- Chair, Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel for the Northern District of California (2010).
- Co-chair, the Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representatives for the Northern District of California (2008–2009).
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1976
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 1978
- B.A., Stanford University, 1973
ADMISSIONS : California, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 9th, Federal and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Claims
- California Supreme Court
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Rate : $$$