Scott Johnson, member, is the chair of Eastman & Smith’s Real Estate Practice Group, and concentrates his practice in the areas of transactional real estate, business related matters and real estate related litigation. Prior to joining Eastman & Smith, Mr. Johnson practiced law in Atlanta, Georgia, focusing on commercial and real estate related litigation in both state and federal courts.
He has experience representing clients in all aspects of commercial real estate, including contract and lease negotiations, real estate acquisition and development, negotiation and preparation of loan documentation, and land use, annexation, zoning and planning. Additionally, Mr. Johnson has successfully represented clients in real estate related disputes pending in both state and federal court.
Mr. Johnson regularly speaks at seminars directed to real estate professionals and clients, and occasionally other lawyers, on subjects such as land contracts, lease options, real estate and construction due diligence, construction contracts, and ethics for real estate professionals.
A 2001 magna cum laude graduate from the University of Toledo College of Law, Mr. Johnson is a published member of The University of Toledo Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. As an undergraduate at Indiana State University, Mr. Johnson studied biochemistry.
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2001
- Indiana State University, B.S. (Biochemistry), 1998
- Georgia, 2001
- Ohio, 2008
- U.S. District Courts:
- Northern District of Ohio
- Middle District of Georgia
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Obtained a jury verdict against vendor of real estate for breach of warranty of title.
- Assisted with road vacations and closures, acquisition of permits and entitlements, and negotiation of water and sewer agreements for an intermodal railroad project with national implications.
- Assisted with the negotiation and implementation of conservation easement covering historic lands.
- Obtained dismissal of nuisance abatement proceedings against commercial recycling company.
- Assisted with the reduction of the assessed value of commercial real estate before the county board of revisions.
Mr. Johnson is the vice president on the Board of Directors for Neighborhood Properties, Inc., a non-profit organization with the mission of finding a way to end homelessness for persons with serious mental illness and addiction disorders. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Home Builders Association of Greater Toledo, Inc., a non-profit dedicated to promoting and enhancing the professionalism of the building industry in Northwest Ohio.
In addition to these board positions, Mr. Johnson participates on the Toledo Zoo’s Development Committee and the Caring Friends of Toledo Children’s Hospital’s Danberry Treasure Chest Funding Committee.
Through Eastman & Smith, Mr. Johnson is an active affiliate member of the International Council of Shopping Centers and Toledo Regional Association of REALTORS. He also serves on the joint committee of the Toledo Bar Association and Toledo Regional Association of REALTORS tasked with updating and revising the form of residential real estate purchase agreement and related addendum commonly used throughout Northwest Ohio.
Mr. Johnson is a member of the Toledo Bar Association, and previously served as both the chairperson and secretary of that organization’s Real Estate Committee. Mr. Johnson is also a member of the Ohio State Bar Association.
Rate : $$$