Scott Richards has substantial experience handling matters involving business and commercial litigation; construction litigation; creditors’ rights, securitization, and consumer protection; insurance coverage disputes; bankruptcy; and class actions. He also has experience representing hospitals and insurers in health care (litigation, compliance, and transactional) matters.
Scott advises clients regarding compliance with state and federal statutes in these legal areas. His consumer protection practice includes a strong working knowledge of statutes such as the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FCDPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA). With his civil engineering background and licensure, Scott is able to communicate effectively with construction industry and design professionals alike.
He also has experience in admiralty/maritime matters, including vessel arrests, attachment proceedings, vessel auctions, maritime liens and ship mortgages, salvage claims, limitation of liability proceedings, defense of personal injury and wrongful death claims, USCG investigations, and drafting and review of charter parties.
- Stetson University College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- University of South Florida (B.S., 2006)
- Associate Attorney, Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney, P.C., Tampa, FL (2009-2018)
- Patent Searcher, Washington Patent Services, Pasadena, FL (2009)
- Staff Geotechnical Engineer, Tierra, Inc., Tampa, FL (2005-2008)
Professional & Community Involvement:
- Member, The Florida Bar, Young Lawyers Division
- Member, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Member, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Member, Maritime Law Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Tampa
Rate : $$$$