Scott E. Bartel is a partner in the Sacramento office of Lewis Brisbois and co-chair of the Securities and Corporate Finance Practice. Scott focuses his practice on the representation of corporations and financial institutions.
He has substantial experience in the areas of corporate finance, public and private offerings, corporate governance and reorganization, acquisitions, divestitures, securities transactions and litigation.
In addition, Scott represents a number of Chinese domestic companies, as well as other foreign private issuers, in connection with their capital raising efforts and acquisitions in the United States.
His experience includes serving as a member of the Division of Corporate Finance of the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. While at the SEC, he examined public offerings, annual reports, proxy statements, and drafted “no-action” interpretive letters.
Later, as a senior attorney in one of the division’s branches of corporate analysis and examination, he was responsible for the SEC’s supervision of proxy contests, leveraged buyouts, and going private transactions.
Scott also served on the staff of the Corporate and Securities Division of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board. While working for the Board, he administered the federal regulations pertaining to federally chartered savings and loan associations and savings banks and drafted the Board’s first securities offering regulations.
He was then appointed Assistant Deputy Director of the Corporate and Securities Division and was responsible for the interpretation and implementation of the regulations he drafted. In private practice, Scott has substantial experience in all aspects of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and cross border business transactions.
He has represented numerous companies in their initial public offerings, follow on offerings, PIPE’s and other private placements. He regularly represents public companies before the SEC in both corporate finance and enforcement matters.
Scott has also represented many commercial banks and thrifts in their de novo organization, capital raising and mergers and acquisition matters. In litigation, he has represented corporate and individual clients in securities litigation, shareholder derivative actions, regulatory enforcement and administrative proceedings and general business and corporate governance litigation and appeals in state and federal court.
Scott has been recognized for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America, in the area of Securities Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, and Corporate Governance and Compliance. He has also been recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer in the area of Securities Law.
- Georgetown University, Master of Laws, 1986
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Juris Doctor with distinction, 1982
- University of California, Davis, Bachelor of Arts with honors, 1979
- State Bar Admissions, California
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States District Courts, United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Named, Northern California Super Lawyer (2013-2017)
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America (2004-present)
- Selected as top lawyer in region by Sacramento Magazine for Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities & Corporate Finance (2016)
- Named, Best of the Bar by the Sacramento Business Journal (2015)
- Zhongguancun Listed Companies Association – Beijing
Representative Experience :
- Represented an enterprise application software company with international operations in its $25 million initial public offering, listing on NASDAQ, and SEC reporting and compliance matters.
- Represented a cellular technology company in its $50 million initial public offering, listing on NASDAQ and SEC reporting and compliance matters.
- Represented a publicly held dental technology company in several PIPE investments and SEC registration statements, reporting and compliance matters.
- Represented a publicly held satellite communications company in several PIPE investments and SEC registrations, reporting and compliance matters.
- Represented a publicly held specialty chemical company with operations in Europe in connection with its capital raising and SEC reporting and compliance as a “foreign private issuer.”
- Represented a cellular technology company in its $500 million acquisition shelf public offering and the acquisition of several cellular technology companies using proceeds and/or shares registered on the shelf offering.
- Represented a publicly held enterprise application software company in connection with the acquisition of the enterprise application software assets (hospitality) of another publicly held company in an asset purchase transaction for cash in seven different countries.
- Represented a venture-backed privately held web based high school sports company in connection with its sale to a publicly held national broadcasting company in a cash out merger transaction.
- Represented a publicly held energy services company in several acquisitions of other energy services companies throughout the United States.
- Represented a publicly held satellite communications company in a joint venture with Alcatel Space Industries for the construction and launch of a constellation of low earth orbiting satellites.
- Represented a publicly held dental technology company in connection with the reorganization of its subsidiaries with a reincorporation in the Cayman Islands and the reorganization of its Hong Kong subsidiary in anticipation of a venture capital financing.
Rate : $$$$