Scott S. Cairns is a trial lawyer who, for more than 30 years, has represented clients in a broad range of cases, often involving sensitive and high-profile issues. His litigation experience has involved a wide variety of matters, including civil rights, employment, tort, and commercial litigation in trial and appellate courts across the United States.
He has been recognized by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and was named to Florida Super Lawyers. Scott represents employers in discrimination and harassment cases under federal and state laws. He represents public institutions litigating civil rights and constitutional issues under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Title IX, 20 U.S.C. § 1681.
He handles class actions under Rule 23 and opt-in claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act. He has litigated a variety of commercial litigation matters including theft of trade secrets and breach of noncompetition agreements. Scott also defends clients in high-exposure toxic tort, product liability and personal injury matters.
He counsels clients concerning issues associated with their mergers, acquisitions and layoffs; the drafting of employment agreements, noncompetition agreements and related employment policies; as well as investigation of sexual harassment claims, preparation of affirmative action plans and OFCCP audits.
Scott worked in McGuireWoods’ London office, representing clients in cross-border matters and assisting in the development of the firm’s international practices. Scott has been part of the firm’s management, having served as managing partner of the Jacksonville office and as a member of the firm’s Board of Partners. He is a certified circuit court mediator for the Florida Supreme Court and a certified mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Advised client on restrictive covenants in the US and the UK and coordinated advice from other international jurisdictions such as Hong Kong and Russia.
- Representation of Fortune 250 client in racial harassment and personal injury claims in federal court in North Carolina.
- Representation of forest products company in theft of trade secrets noncompete case resulting in consent decree and very favorable settlement.
- Representation of forest products company in nationwide class action involving migrant workers. The federal district court granted our motion for summary judgment, which was upheld by the court of appeals.
- University of Virginia School of Law, JD, Member, Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1981
- University of Virginia, BA, 1973
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Chairman, Board of Directors, The Sulzbacher Center
- Board of Directors, Community Hospice and Palliative Care
- Board of Directors, World Affairs Council of Jacksonville
- Secretary / Treasurer, Chester Bedell Inn of Court
Rate : $$$