Scott L. Friedman’s practice focuses on labor and employment matters.Mr. Friedman’s practice focuses on labor and employment litigation and strategic advice. Mr. Friedman’s litigation experience includes representing employers in matters arising under federal and state laws, including claims filed under Title VII, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and 42 U.S.C. § 1981. In addition, he has addressed issues arising under the Occupational Safety and Health Act, responding to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections and representing employers through litigation.
Mr. Friedman’s litigation experience also includes representing defendants in commercial disputes in state and federal courts and before arbitral tribunals under the AAA, ICC and ICDR Rules. In addition, Mr. Friedman has counseled employers on a range of strategic legal issues, including drafting executive employment contracts, restrictive covenants (i.e. non-competition), and separations; workplace safety; and regulatory compliance.
Mr. Friedman earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt Law School, where he served as an articles selection editor for the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law. During law school, he also served as a judicial extern to a federal judge and a legal intern to a publicly traded Silicon Valley technology corporation.Mr. Friedman obtained his A.B. with honors from Washington University in St. Louis, where he was a John B. Ervin Scholar.
- Drafted numerous executive employment agreements, confidentiality agreements, and severance agreements for employers in industries including energy, financial services, and restaurant.
- Represented chemicals company in action to enforce restrictive covenants and obtained injunctive relief;
- Defended oilfield service company against single-plaintiff discrimination and retaliation claims;
- Represented animal specialty services company in enforcement of non-competition agreements;
- ICC International Commercial Mediation Competition, semi-finalist (2013)
- Moderator, Pathways to Employment in International Law Global Teleconference, ABA Section of International Law (Oct. 2014)
- Moderator, Agreed, Vereinbart, Acuerdo – Cross Cultural Negotiation, Spring Meeting, ABA Section of International Law (Apr. 2016)
- Panelist, Ethical Challenges Facing In-House Counsel (Nov. 2017)
- Mr. Friedman is a regular volunteer at Houston Humane Society. He also serves on the board of the young professionals group of the Jewish Federation of Greater Houston.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 2013
- A.B., Washington University in St. Louis, with honors, 2010
Rate : $$$