Scott R. Magee is Senior Counsel in the Boston office of Locke Lord LLP, where he is a member of the Firm’s Business Litigation and Appellate Practice Groups. Scott’s practice focuses on commercial and construction litigation, and disputes relating to mergers and acquisitions. Scott has also concluded extensive employment and bankruptcy litigation.
Scott has represented owners, developers and subcontractors in a wide range of construction disputes and through alternative dispute resolution and employers in various statutory and contract-based employment disputes. Scott appears regularly in state and federal courts. He is also active in various pro bono projects at the Firm.
Scott graduated from Boston College Law School. While at BC Law, Scott was an oralist on the Jessup International Law Moot Court Team and he served as a judge for the Grimes Moot Court Competition. From 2007 through 2018, Scott taught the Jessup International Law Moot Court program at Boston College Law School. Scott continues to serve as a judge for the Jessup Competition in the United States and internationally.
Prior to law school, Scott received his Master’s Degree in organic chemistry from Boston University and his Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Representative Experience :
- Prevailed in a three week jury trial in federal court, obtaining a $7.5 million verdict on behalf of the client for breach of contract in a software licensing dispute and defeating $23.5 million in counterclaims that alleged breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty
- Defended a distributor of electrical products in arbitration against a $5.2 million claim by the owners of a series of solar fields concerning their design and construction; also recovered all unpaid amounts owed by the owners under the contracts
- Regularly represents companies in internal investigations concerning allegations of revenue recognition, anti-competitive conduct, insider trading, and budgeting issues, among other things
- Litigated numerous employment related disputes at both summary judgment and trial, including in response to claims under employment contracts and for statutory Wage Act disputes
- Has represented developers of large, luxury condominium projects in response to claims by unit owners claiming defective design and construction
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a major telecommunications company in Massachusetts Federal Court alleging breach of state tariffs and unfair and deceptive business practices
Professional Affiliations : Member, Boston Bar Association
- J.D., cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2005
- M.A., Boston University, 2001
- B.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1999
Admissions : Massachusetts
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$