Scott L. McMillan’s practice covers various aspects of patent law, including foreign and domestic patent prosecution, portfolio management, and strategic development; infringement and validity studies; and licensing and due diligence support. Mr. McMillan has technical experience in various areas of electronics, computers, software and optics.
Specific technologies include online video streaming, computer vision and image processing, artificial intelligence, circuit design and VLSI layout, wireless communications, computer architecture, networking, software, optical devices and networks, and semiconductor design and manufacture.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. McMillan worked at one of the world’s largest semiconductor companies in hardware and software development, where, among other things, he assisted in the design of a development platform for next-generation portable media devices.
He has also been lead hardware engineer at a small media distribution company where he designed and tested multimedia kiosks. Mr. McMillan lived in Brazil for two years and retains a working proficiency in Portuguese.
- Represented Western Union Financial Services, Inc., a provider of global payment services, as a defendant in a patent infringement lawsuit involving methods for electronic payment processing. Case settled. Actus, LLC v. Bank of Am. Corp., No. 09-0102 (E.D. Tex. filed Apr. 9, 2009).
- Columbia Law School, J.D. (2008) Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- University of Colorado, M.S., Electrical Engineering (2005)
- Brigham Young University, B.S., Electrical Engineering (2003) University Scholar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
Rate : $$$