Scott Michelman has more than 20 years of experience representing companies in a broad range of high-stakes litigation. He has defended lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout Texas, and he has successfully argued cases in the Texas and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
He is also a trusted adviser to clients on a variety of non-litigation matters.
Prior to joining Shook, Scott was an in-house attorney for an international oil and gas company, where he was responsible for commercial and employment litigation.
His in-house experience gives Scott a unique ability to understand his clients’ needs and to work in partnership with those clients to achieve their objectives.
Scott’s litigation experience includes the following:
- Product Liability Litigation – Scott has successfully defended a variety of product liability lawsuits, primarily in the areas of pharmaceuticals and medical devices. He has been responsible for a statewide docket of cases alleging injuries from hip and knee implants, has been a member of a team responsible for cases alleging injuries from childhood vaccines, and has managed the day-to-day defense of lawsuits arising from the ingestion of diet drugs.
- Employment Discrimination – Scott has successfully defended all types of employment discrimination cases around the country, including suits alleging age, race, disability and sex discrimination. His cases have frequently been on the cutting edge of the employment field, including one of the earliest psychiatric disability claims brought under the Americans with Disabilities Act in Texas, and an early same-sex sexual harassment case brought in California state court.
- ERISA Litigation – Scott has experience handling a wide variety of Employee Retirement Income Security Act litigation, including fiduciary issues, Section 510 cases, and benefit claims litigation. He has defended both employers and insurers against individual ERISA claims as well as national ERISA class actions.
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law, 1996
- B.A., Tufts University, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Defense Research Institute
- Houston Bar Association, Inter-Professional Drug Education Alliance Committee (2002-2009)
- Houston Bar Association, Law Week Fun Run Committee (1999-2015), Co-Chair (2002-2004, 2006-2007)
Rate : $$$