Scott W. Sayler has more than 30 years of litigation experience. His practice is devoted exclusively to litigation, and he has focused primarily on the representation of product manufacturers and other defendants involved in product liability and commercial litigation.
Scott joined Shook in 1987 following a judicial clerkship on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. Scott’s practice has involved all facets of the litigation process. He has managed and litigated large groups of cases on both a regional and national scale.
He has tried product liability and tort cases in state and federal courts throughout the country and has presented arguments in appellate courts. In the area of pharmaceutical and medical device product liability litigation, Scott has defended manufacturers of numerous products, including IUDs, diabetes drugs, anti-seizure drugs, implantable contraceptives, intraocular lenses, contraceptive sponges, ophthalmic products, hip implants, prostaglandins, anesthesia drugs, statin drugs, numerous medical devices and various non-medical consumer products.
National Product Liability Litigation
- Scott has litigated several hundred individual and class action product liability cases. He has tried lawsuits and arbitrated cases in state and federal courts in Arizona, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma and Utah. He has coordinated the defense of nationwide mass tort litigation and served on regional counsel trial teams for numerous product manufacturers. Scott’s appellate experience includes serving as a federal appellate court judicial clerk and arguing before several appellate courts.
- Scott has represented product manufacturers and other parties in various commercial disputes, including contract and tort-based disputes between former joint venture partners, licensor-licensee litigation and defamation actions. Scott has also defended actions involving individual and putative class action claims brought by individuals and third-party payors.
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 1986
- B.S., University of Kansas, 1983
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- American Bar Association, Products Liability Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device Annual Seminar, Program Chair (2008-2009)
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device Committee, Former Chair
- International Association of Defense Counsel
Rate : $$$$