Scott R. Sveslosky is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Mr. Sveslosky’s practice over the past 17 years has taken him around the globe. He is one of the few, if only, attorneys who has stopped a deposition in order to evade capture and incarceration at the hands of corrupt government officials in a third world country.
Mr. Sveslosky’s practice focuses on insurance-related litigation, where he represents insurers in high exposure bad faith cases and complex coverage litigation. He routinely provides commercial and personal lines insurers with coverage advice and also counsels and represents health plans and health insurers in a variety of general commercial disputes. Mr. Sveslosky is a contributing editor to the Rutter Group’s Insurance Litigation California Practice Guide, which is California’s leading treatise on insurance law.
Mr. Sveslosky also represents clients in complex commercial litigation cases and, as just one example, successfully represented the City of Ontario in the high profile case involving the continued control of the Ontario International Airport. He has handled several jury trials and represented clients before the California Courts of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Sveslosky is actively involved in pro bono work and serves on the board of directors of the Global Hunger Foundation. He is also an adjunct professor at Woodbury University where he teaches a graduate level course in Conflict Resolution and an undergraduate course in Personnel Development and Organizational Culture. In his spare time, Mr. Sveslosky has also served as a technical legal advisor for TV films.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 2001, Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- B.S., University of Southern California, 1998, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California
- Ninth Circuit
- Obtained summary judgment for London based insurance companies on a $25 million claim involving arson, theft, murder, corruption, and bribery.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in case alleging implied disparagement of goods and services. Affirmed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Recovered millions of dollars in premiums for one of nation’s largest insurance companies and secured multiple dismissals of workers’ compensation claims mishandling allegations.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of one of the World’s largest consumer product manufacturers against a national discount retail chain.
- Secured dismissal of insurance client in case seeking over $20 million in damages for breach of contract and “bad faith” – dismissal affirmed by Court of Appeal.
- Obtained numerous dismissals by summary judgment or motion to dismiss for several of the nation’s largest insurance companies in cases alleging breach of contract and tortious breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical manufacturer in antitrust cases filed in state and federal courts in more than half the states across the US.
- Obtained dismissal of international consumer product manufacturer and distributor in case involving personal injuries from alleged defective batteries.
Rate : $$$