The first in his family to attend college, Scott L. Warner sees education as the key to opportunity. His passion for the educational mission of colleges and universities led him to take a job early in his legal career in the general counsel’s office at Northwestern University.
He enjoyed the personal element of campus work as well: Legal matters in his office often involved the education of individual students or faculty research.
In his private practice, Scott works exclusively with higher education institutions. His goal is to partner closely with clients, becoming a trusted advisor. Clients find that his deep understanding of the academic world comes through in his legal advice.
Scott’s years in-house at Northwestern gave him firsthand familiarity with academia’s unique culture. He has extensive experience with the wide variety of legal issues that affect higher education, such as crisis management, board governance, faculty personnel, student affairs, and campus sexual assault and other compliance matters.
- Worked closely with governing boards and senior administrators to address high-profile allegations of wrongdoing and related litigation.
- Represented colleges, universities and seminaries in investigations by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Illinois Department of Human Rights involving institutional compliance with Title IX and other state and federal anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws and regulations.
- Advised private and public institutions on internal disciplinary proceedings involving tenured faculty and collective bargaining unit members to ensure compliance with due process and contractual requirements.
- University of Michigan Law School
- B.A., University of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- Association for Student Conduct Administration
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), Board Member
Rate : $$$$