Scott Welkis executes a range of financing transactions for alternative capital sources including private equity funds, hedge funds and distressed investors, as well as traditional financial institutions.Scott represents various capital providers in connection with loan originations and distressed investments, and private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, as well as other borrowers, in connection with a broad spectrum of corporate finance transactions, including senior, subordinated and unsecured financings, such as leveraged loans and asset based loans.
Scott works in partnership with clients to provide solid guidance, judgement and a dedication to protecting their interests. He is one of a handful of finance partners in the market dedicated to special situations lending, understanding both the financing and restructuring aspects of these transactions.
- Has extensive experience in special situations and distressed financing transactions, including out-of-court and in-court restructurings.
- Handles a wide variety of debt financing transactions.
- Advises private equity funds, hedge funds and other alternative capital sources, as well as banks and other financial institutions.
- Advised Warrior Met Coal, Inc. as issuer in a 144A/Regulation S offering of aggregate $350 million principal amount of 8.00% senior secured notes, the proceeds of which were used to pay a special cash dividend.
- Assisted a prominent energy company hedge fund and affiliated borrowers in $2 billion in project financing facilities consisting of a first lien revolving and term loan facility, a second lien term loan facility, and a holding company term loan with warrants to support the acquisition and operation of energy generating assets.
- Represented a private equity fund in a $550 million acquisition financing of a 2,815 MW portfolio of six natural gas-fired power plants.
- Advised a leading global investment management firm in the creation of a bespoke loan and collateral structure made necessary by existing financing arrangements. Led the challenging negotiations with borrower and counsel, created collateral structure solutions, and drew upon the firm’s deep experience in restructuring and make-whole litigation.
- On behalf of holders of Sun Edison second lien debt, negotiated new money financing and, following that, advised in bankruptcy proceedings. Structured the new money rescue loan transaction and then debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing and replacement DIP financing with complex intercreditor issues.
- Represented Eagle Bulk Shipping, Inc. burdened by sanctions issues and headed toward bankruptcy, in a dual-path bankruptcy financing and in out-of-court restructuring.
- Represented Warrior Met Coal, Inc. in a $125 million Amended and Restated Asset-Based Revolving Credit Agreement.
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1996
- B.A., Trinity College, 1993
- New Jersey
- New York
Rate : $$$$