Scott D. Wofsy is the Co-Chair of the Firm’s Patent Strategies Practice Group. Scott has advised clients in the medical device industry and the aerospace industry for over two decades. His practice involves patent prosecution, litigation and licensing with an emphasis on matters relating to mechanical devices and systems.
Scott also serves as the managing partner of the Firm’s Stamford Office and is a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors. He is the former Co-Chair of the Firm’s IP Litigation section.
Representative Experience :
- Representative Patent Prosecution Experience
- Scott has an active patent prosecution practice and has prepared patent applications directed to such things as rotary machine tools, laparoscopic and endoscopic surgical instruments, endocardial pacing and defibrillation leads, spinal stabilization systems and interspinous process implants, combustion control systems for industrial and aircraft gas turbine engines, variable and fixed displacement fuel pumps, ice protection systems and landing gear for fixed and rotary wing aircraft, fluid filtration devices, fuel injectors and atomizers, static and dynamic sealing devices, hybrid electric vehicles, techniques for applying metallurgical coatings to engine components, material converting machinery, well water treatment systems, the next generation space telescope, cellular telephony including call archiving and call hand-overs, and business methods relating to financial portfolio management, real estate transactions and crossing networks.
- Representative Patent Litigation Experience
- Scott has handled patent litigation matters in district courts throughout the country involving technology such as surgical staplers, surgical irrigation devices, trocar seals, electronic stadium scoreboards, blood testing devices, fuel control systems for helicopter engines, spiral pleated water filters, center-shafted golf putters, mail collating systems, bicycle head shocks, software for the internationalization of domain names, atomizing spray nozzles, coal fired burners, water bottle resins, laparoscopic insufflators, underwater pelletizing systems and network monitoring systems.
- Recent Litigation Matters Include:
- MeadWestvaco Corp. v. Rexam Beauty & Closures, Inc., 731 F.3d 1258 (Fed. Cir. 2013), (represented plaintiff in case involving patents for polymer tubes used in perfume bottles)
- Northgate Technologies, Inc. v. Stryker Corporation et al., Case No.: 1-12-cv-7032 (N.D. Ill), (represented defendant in case involving insufflators used in laparoscopic surgery)
- Packet Intelligence LLC v. NetScout Systems, Inc. et al., Case No. 2:16-cv-00230 (E.D. TX) (representing defendants in case involving systems for monitoring traffic in a data network)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Member, Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- J.D., New York Law School, 1992
- B.S.M.E., George Washington University, School of Engineering and Applied Science, 1989
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$$