Sean A. Monroe is a highly skilled and effective corporate transactional lawyer specializing in complex mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, private equity, and corporate finance transactions, including fund formation and investments, portfolio company acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and restructurings, venture capital and early-stage formation and investment transactions, and executive employment and compensation arrangements.
Sean has particular expertise in advising entertainment and media clients in all aspects of transactions in these industries, including such matters as motion picture financings, television business acquisitions and investments, digital and new media venture formations and other investment, disposition, and licensing matters involving these businesses.
Ancillary to his core practice, Sean has extensive experience with federal and state securities laws and regulations, state corporate laws, and general corporate matters and corporate governance, with related experience in tax, intellectual property, employee benefits, ERISA, environmental, and bankruptcy practice areas.
Sean’s entertainment and media clients include motion picture and television studios, entertainment finance companies, high-net-worth investors, producers, and executives in the entertainment, media, and sports industries. In addition, Sean frequently represents producers, financiers, and distributors of digital content, private equity and hedge funds, early-stage and venture-backed companies and startups.
Sean’s non-entertainment clients include global financial services providers, real estate development and acquisition companies, family offices and investment advisors providing third-party fairness and solvency opinions.
Sean is dedicated to providing thoughtful and responsive service to his clients. He implements practical, efficient, and customized solutions to complex problems and utilizes O’Melveny’s global resources to secure his clients’ desired objectives across a range of transactional matters.
- Represent Participant Media in numerous M&A transactions involving entertainment and media businesses, including:
- Its acquisition of an equity stake in the Evolution Media Capital Growth Fund sponsored by TPG Growth, the tech-media focused growth equity investment platform of global investment firm TPG
- Participant’s acquisition of Documentary Channel, Inc. and Halogen Networks, and the negotiation of affiliation agreements with DirecTV and DISH Networks
- Participant’s investment in Cineflix Media, a Canadian television production and distribution company
- Participant’s sale of its equity position in Summit Entertainment to Lion’s Gate Entertainment
- Advised Shine Limited in (i) its $125 million acquisition of the Reveille independent television production business, (ii) numerous executive employment matters and litigation, and (iii) Shine’s $675 million sale to News Corporation
- Representing a prominent NY-based hedge fund in ongoing advice relating to its equity, debt, and film investments in a motion picture studio and media company
- Advised Legendary Entertainment in its acquisition of Asylum Entertainment, and in other corporate, refinancing, and M&A matters
- Advised ConAm Management Corporation in the formation of the ConAm Muiltifamily Acquisition Fund, and ConAm’s real-estate joint venture, financing, and property acquisition matters
- University of California, Berkeley, J.D.: Articles Editor, California Law Review
- Georgetown University, B.A., Government
Rate : $$$$