Sean P. Smith is an associate in the Boston office of Locke Lord LLP where he represents employers in a variety of labor and employment matters. Sean represents and defends employers through all phases of state and federal litigation, arbitrations, administrative hearings, and appeals.
In particular, he has extensive experience in non-compete, non-solicitation, and trade secret litigation, as well as litigation involving claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
He also actively advises in-house counsel, human resources professionals, and senior management on compliance matters, company policies and employee handbooks, investigations and audits, wage and hour questions, separations and terminations, leave benefits, disability accommodations, ADA accessibility compliance for public accommodations and websites, and employment issues in connection with business acquisitions.
Additionally, he has experience in drafting employment agreements, separation and release agreements, employee handbooks, and restrictive covenant agreements.
Representative Experience :
- Lead attorney on multimillion-dollar lawsuit between competing insurance brokerage firms involving alleged non-compete, non-solicitation, and trade secret violations
- Obtained summary judgment for clients against claims of trade secret misappropriation and breaches of restrictive covenants brought in federal court
- Represented bank against claims brought by former CEO for wrongful termination and recovery of golden parachute payment
- First-chaired trial as guardian ad litem for three children in trial terminating parental rights of biological mother and father
- Participated in the defense of employers against discrimination and retaliation claims brought under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and corresponding Florida and Massachusetts law
- Drafted position statements to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and various state labor commissions in response to allegations of race and gender discrimination and sexual harassment
- Revised and updated employee handbooks and employee policies for nationwide companies to ensure compliance with current federal, state, and local laws
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2011
- B.A., Economics and Political Science, cum laude, University of Florida, 2008
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$