Sean J. Wright provides strategic advice and counsel to clients in all areas of political law, including federal and state campaign finance law, election law, gifts and ethics rules, and lobbying registration and disclosure.
Building on his role as a former Federal Election Commission (FEC) attorney and federal prosecutor, Sean helps guide politically engaged individuals, tax-exempt organizations, companies, trade associations, and other groups to comply with the complex rules governing political advocacy.
Sean is a problem-solver and is passionate about helping his clients achieve their strategic and political goals. In assisting his clients, Sean brings the experience and perspective of a former regulator and federal prosecutor.
Prior to joining Venable, he was an attorney in the Policy Division of the Office of General Counsel at the FEC. He also served as special counsel to Commissioner Ann M. Ravel, where he advised the commissioner on litigation, enforcement, and policy matters.
A significant portion of Sean’s practice includes advising clients on compliance with FEC and state campaign finance laws and regulations. He helps clients structure their fundraising, spending, and communications to comply with FEC and state rules to achieve their strategic and political goals.
Sean also served as a special assistant United States attorney in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, where he investigated and prosecuted violations of federal criminal laws, presented before federal grand juries, appeared before federal magistrate and district court judges, and prepared criminal litigation documents and appeals.
Earlier in his career, Sean worked on the legal policy team for the Center for American Progress, where he researched and wrote reports, white papers, and policy analyses on campaign finance, voting rights, civil rights, and criminal law. He also clerked for the Honorable Beryl A. Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Attorney, Office of General Counsel, Federal Election Commission
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Special Counsel, Office of Commissioner Ann M. Ravel, Federal Election Commission
- Represented trade association during Federal Election Commission rulemaking by drafting comments and preparing witness to testify during public hearing
- Member of team representing fiscal sponsor of innovative nonprofit advocacy projects engaged in fast-paced, high-profile grassroots campaigns to influence public policy and elections.
- J.D. magna cum laude The Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law 2013
- M.A. Public Policy and Management The Ohio State University John Glenn College of Public Affairs 2013
- B.A. Political Science and History magna cum laude Miami University 2009
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Ohio
Court Admissions : U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Clerk Experience : Honorable Beryl A. Howell U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
Rate : $$$