Sergio M. Martins Torres Filho is a corporate associate and a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity and Latin America Groups. He has worked on acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, including cross-border transactions for both private equity and corporate clients. Mr. Torres joined Debevoise in 2016. He received an LL.M. from Stanford Law School in 2016, and his law degree from University of Blumenau, Brazil, in 2008. He also received an M.B.A. in Taxation from Fundação Getulio Vargas in 2009, and post-graduate degrees in International Trade from Instituto Internacional de Ciências Sociais in 2011, and corporate law from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo in 2013. He co-authored the article “Breves anotações sobre derivativos e securitização no Brasil” (Notes on derivatives and securitization in Brazil) published by Revista de Direito Empresarial in 2016.
From 2011 to 2015, Mr. Torres was a senior M&A counsel with Itaú Unibanco S.A., where he advised the group in domestic and cross-border M&A transactions in the insurance, financial and technology sectors, as well as in corporate governance matters, private equity, and fund investments. Mr. Torres worked as legal counsel at Louis Dreyfus Commodities from 2010 to 2011, advising the Louis Dreyfus companies in the “North LatAm” region in structured transactions, trade finance and international trade, and at Mexichem Brasil from 2008 to 2009. Mr. Torres was an international associate at Debevoise in 2013.
Mr. Torres is admitted to the New York State Bar and the Brazilian Bar Association. He is fluent in Portuguese and proficient in Spanish.
- Toyota Motor Corporation in its joint investment, with DENSO Corporation and SoftBank Vision Fund, in Uber’s Advanced Technologies Group.
- Risk Strategies in its acquisition of Krauter & Company, a leading specialty firm focused on the risk and insurance needs of private equity firms and their portfolio companies nationwide.
- NCI Building Systems in its unit purchase agreement with Environmental Materials, LLC.
- Elliott Management in its equity investment in Emergent Cold Storage, a global cold storage chain business.
- Ply Gem and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in Ply Gem’s $5.5 billion stock-for-stock combination with NCI Building Systems.
- A Japanese utility as a member of an investor group in the group’s acquisition of majority ownership interests in Kleen Energy Systems, LLC, which operates a 620-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant located in Middletown, Connecticut. As part of the transaction, an affiliate of Ares EIF will manage the Kleen Energy power plant on behalf of the investor group.
- Cerberus Capital Management in its acquisition of Electrical Components International, the world’s leading manufacturer of wire harnesses, control boxes and value-added assembly services, from KPS Capital Partners.
- Globo in an offering of $200 million of senior secured exchangeable notes of Pontis IV mandatorily exchangeable for 5.125% senior notes due 2025 of Globo.
- An affiliate of Globo in the merger of Zap S.A., a subsidiary of Globo, with Viva Real Inc., forming one of the leading digital real estate portal companies in Brazil.
- Ambev S.A. in the acquisition of a 30% interest in Cervecería Nacional Dominicana (CND), the leading beer company in the Caribbean, and the restructuring of its joint venture with E. León Jimenes, in a transaction valued at $926.5 million.
- Stanford Law School, 2016, LL.M.
- Fundação Getulio Vargas, 2009, M.B.A.
- University of Blumenau, Brazil, 2008, Law Degree
- New York
Rate : $$$$