Shane Brun is a nationally recognized intellectual property attorney known for his strategic counsel and broad experience representing technology companies in patent litigation and other IP and technology-related matters, including trade secret, trademark, and employee mobility litigation.
Shane’s practice involves a wide range of technologies, including Internet security, wearable technology, computer networking, wireless communications, microlithography, plasma displays, optical alignment, inspection systems, and digital imaging.
He represents clients in federal and state courts around the country, before the International Trade Commission (ITC), and in arbitration. Shane has also served as in-house counsel to two public technology companies.
Recently commended by IAM Patent 1000, Shane was cited by one client as “simply the best at addressing threats through practical business landscapes analysis and strategies.”
As in-house counsel to two public technology companies, he represented and advised on mergers and acquisitions; formation of strategic partners; a broad range of commercial agreement negotiations, including licensing technology and intellectual property rights; procurement of patent rights for company products and services; and regulatory issues, SEC filings, and other public disclosures.
Prior to his legal career, Shane worked as a manufacturing engineer with a consulting firm, focusing on semiconductor processing. Shane also engages in significant pro bono work. He is currently lead counsel representing a class of students with reading disabilities, including dyslexia, against a Northern California school district.
Shane is also a member of the board for the Western Center on Law & Poverty, an organization devoted to impact litigation and legislative advocacy in the areas of housing, healthcare, and the social safety net for low-income California residents.
- Defended a cybersecurity company as lead counsel, against claims of patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation brought by a multinational corporation in the U.S. District Courts in Delaware, and in San Jose and San Francisco, California
- Represented a network technology company, as lead counsel, in a patent infringement matter brought by a software company in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco, California. Following a favorable ruling construing key terms in the asserted patents, the court granted the client’s motions for summary judgment of non-infringement and invalidity
- Represented a producer of audio products, as lead counsel, asserting claims of design patent and trade dress infringement against a Japanese manufacturer, in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, California. The case settled on terms favorable to the client, including obtaining ownership of the manufacturer’s design patent covering its infringing headphones
- Represented an imaging technology company in multiple patent infringement matters against two other technology companies, before the ITC and in various district courts across the United States; matters concerned digital camera technology. The ITC investigation was In re Certain Mobile Telephones and Wireless Communication Devices Featuring Digital Cameras, and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-703
- Represented a patent organization and several of its affiliates in patent infringement lawsuits in the U.S. District Court in Marshall, Texas, involving the client’s pioneering plasma display patents. Following a claim construction ruling in which the client won every meaningful dispute, negotiated a favorable settlement of several patent infringement cases.
- J.D. University of California, Hastings College of the Law 1995
- B.S. University of Arkansas 1990
Bar Admissions : California, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Board member, Western Center on Law & Poverty
- Member, Educational Foundation of Orinda and Arkansas Alumni Association
Rate : $$$$