Shannon Z. Petersen is a business litigator and the Managing Partner of the San Diego (Del Mar) office. He co-leads the firm’s TCPA and consumer class action defense teams. Dr. Petersen is a trial attorney specializing in consumer class action defense. He has successfully represented clients in claims involving:
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and California Rosenthal Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Acting (FCRA)
- Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
- California’s Unfair Competition Law (UCL)
- California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA)
- California’s Automatic Renewal Law (ARL)
- Privacy and call recording statutes
- Automobile Sales Finance Act (ASFA or Rees-Levering)
- Other business claims, including breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, defamation, unfair business practices, false advertising, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, wrongful foreclosure or repossession, unfair debt collection, etc.
Dr. Petersen represents clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, retail, healthcare and others.
- Rite Aid, Walmart, San Diego County Credit Union, Toyota Financial, Wells Fargo, Liberty Mutual, IEC Corporation, HMS Holdings/Eliza Corporation
- Victory following two jury trials, one bench trial and four arbitrations.
- Obtained nearly $8 million in settlement for a plaintiff business in a misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Obtained terminating sanctions and default judgment against a defendant in a defamation case for destroying evidence.
- Defeated class certification and obtained outright dismissal in late fee class action.
- Compelled arbitration and enforced a class action waiver in many cases.
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, 2000
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 2000, with distinction
- M.A., University of Montana, 1995
- Fulbright Fellow, Université de Saint-Louis, Sénégal, 1994
- B.A., University of Montana, 1993, with high honors
- Defense Language Institute, 1991, Top Graduate (Russian)
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California
- American Financial Services Association
- Pro Se Panel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego (former member of Board of Governors)
- Editorial Board of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, San Diego (former)
- Barrister, Louis M. Welsh Chapter of the American Inns of Court (former)
- State Bar of California and San Diego County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$