Shara C. Venezia-Walerstein is a litigator who specializes in white collar criminal defense and corporate investigations. She represents individuals and companies in corporate internal investigations and criminal and regulatory matters, including investigations by the Department of Justice, the New York Attorney General, state attorneys general in multidistrict litigation, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial regulatory organizations.
Shara is a trusted advisor to pharmaceutical and medical device companies and their executives and employees, financial institutions, and health care organizations involved in regulatory, enforcement, and compliance matters.
Shara is also actively involved in O’Melveny’s pro bono practice. She represents clients in criminal and civil matters in federal court.
- Representing a leading international pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the US Department of Justice into the company’s charitable giving
- Representing a leading pharmaceutical and consumer goods company, and its subsidiaries, in a consumer protection act investigation brought by 48 state attorneys general related to its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems, and separately helped its subsidiary negotiate a favorable settlement with the Oregon attorney general, which instituted its own investigation
- Defending a pharmaceutical company in multi-state litigation and state court actions against claims of consumer fraud and false advertisement relating to its marketing of prescription pain medications
- Represented a leading financial institution in regulatory inquiries in response to high-profile and quick-paced New York Attorney General, SEC, and FINRA investigations; representing and preparing individual witnesses for on the record testimony; leading and managing large document reviews
- Regularly represents pharmaceutical companies in internal investigations
- Advises senior executives of a pharmaceutical company regarding compliance matters and financial transparency reporting requirements
- Represents companies in FCPA investigations
- Defended individual officer in securities fraud claims arising out of the bankruptcy of a large supermarket chain
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in a breach-of-contract dispute
- Illustrative Pro Bono Experience :
- Significant experience representing clients in immigration-related proceedings such as SIJS, naturalization, U-Visa, and TPS
- Negotiated a successful settlement agreement with City of New York in a pro bono 1983 prisoners’ rights case
- Representing holocaust survivors to receive deserved pension payments for work performed in ghettos
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2012: cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science, 2008: magna cum laude
- Federal Bar Council, Inn of Court
Rate : $$$