Corporate officers, directors and audit committees trust Sharie A. Brown to help them constructively resolve their internal and government investigations and regulatory matters regarding the FCPA, OFAC sanctions, anti-money laundering and trade controls involving the DOJ, SEC, and U.S. Commerce and Treasury Departments.
As a partner in the white collar and government investigations practice group, Sharie is a recognized leader in ethics, compliance and internal investigations involving financial fraud, corruption, civil forfeiture actions, U.S. trade controls and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions for U.S. and global clients.
Sharie is regarded as a trusted advisor, counselor and skilled investigator in financial fraud matters, FCPA/UK Bribery Act investigations, whistleblower matters, merger and acquisition due diligence, compliance risk assessments, and compliance program development/training, as well as OFAC trade sanctions, U.S. anti-boycott law, and USA PATRIOT Act anti-money laundering “best practices.” Her projects have taken her to virtually every continent.
Before joining the firm, Sharie chaired the white collar defense and corporate compliance practice group and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-corruption and corporate compliance practice group at two international law firms. Before that Sharie worked in Mobil Oil Corp.’s office of general counsel, where she served as an ethics and compliance officer.
Prior to her tenure at Mobil, Sharie was an assistant U.S. attorney in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, where she handled tax, bank fraud and securities fraud cases, and was commended by the FBI director. She clerked for the Honorable Richard M. Bilby, U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.
Her experience, leadership and frequent media contributions regarding financial fraud and corruption make her an international thought leader in the field. She has also been a panelist on numerous FCPA, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, compliance, OFAC sanctions and trade control panels in the United States, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Europe.
Representative Matters :
- Counsel for U.S. and UAE claimants in a DOJ civil forfeiture action in the central district of California involving alleged 1MDB funds misappropriation.
- Lead counsel for multiple international energy companies in FCPA and anti-bribery investigations involving DOJ, the SEC and international prosecutors in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
- Provided OFAC sanctions counseling, advice and representation before OFAC at the U.S. Department of Treasury, for licenses or transactions with sanctions issues involving Iran, Russia/Ukraine, Cuba, Sudan, Venezuela, China, Syria and OFAC SDNs.
- Represents a national vinyl flooring business coalition (140+ companies) opposed to certain proposed China trade tariffs in 301 Committee tariff hearings, prepares comments, and counsels on government affairs initiatives.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- DC Bar, Steering Committee Leadership, International Law Community (formerly “International Law Section”), 2017-2020
- Board of Overseers, University of Pennsylvania, School of Arts & Sciences, June 2016-present
- Co-chair, Development Committee, James Brister Society, University of Pennsylvania, 2017-present
- Sanctions Subcommittee of the U.S. Department of State’s Advisory Committee on International Economic Policy
- Georgetown Corporate Counsel Institute; co-chair of the Advisory Board Program Planning Committee, 2013-2016
Professional Experience :
- Various positions with the Office of General Counsel, Mobil Oil Corp., 1988-2000
- Assistant U.S. attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1984-1988
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard M. Bilby of the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona, 1982-1983
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., Dean’s List, 1982
- University of Pennsylvania, joint B.A./M.A., ONYX Senior Honor Society, Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society, Sphinx Honor Society, 1979
COURT ADMISSIONS : Supreme Court of the United States
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$