Sharon O. Flanery concentrates her practice in the areas of energy and natural resources law and Chairs the firm’s Energy & Natural Resources Department. As a petroleum engineer with both an operating and a legal background in the industry, she brings real-world experience to her practice.
This experience includes acquisitions and divestitures, mineral leases, joint ventures, contract mining agreements, joint operating agreements, and sales and marketing agreements, as well as gathering, transportation, and processing agreements. In addition, she has substantial experience in land and legal due diligence associated with mineral transactions, as well as in the legislative and regulatory arenas.
Her general property background includes leases, rights of way, deeds, land use, and damage issues. Flanery is also a member of the advisory board of the WVU College of Law Center for Energy and Sustainable Development.
- Reorganization of a Fortune 500 energy company into separate coal and oil and gas companies
- Leads teams responsible for asset and stock transactions, lease transactions, and property due diligence projects involving over 3,000,000 gross acres
- Drafted legislation on behalf of a Fortune 500 energy client that clarified the requirements for notification of landowners in connection with coalbed methane development.
- J.D. Duquesne University
- B.S. West Virginia University
- John L. McClaugherty Award for Dedication and Service, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, 2017
- Past President, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, 2013-2014
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Band One Leading Lawyer, Natural Resources
- Guest Lecturer, Distinguished Lecture Series, WVU College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
- Graduated cum laude, West Virginia University, Petroleum Engineering
- Chair, Energy Law Committee, West Virginia State Bar
- Advisory Board, WVU College of Law Center for Energy and Sustainable Development
- Chair, Oil and Gas Practice Committee, Institute for Energy Law
- Independent Petroleum Association of America
- Past Board Member, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Alumni Association WVU Minerals & Energy Resources Department
- The West Virginia Symphony Board of Directors
Rate : $$$