Shauna Martin Ehlert concentrates her practice in professional liability claims and complex coverage disputes. Shauna has successfully defended professional negligence claims against attorneys, escrow agents, notaries, and financial advisers. She regularly acts as monitoring counsel and carrier representative and litigates declaratory judgment actions on behalf insurers.
Shauna’s coverage experience includes professional liability, cyber liability, miscellaneous E&O, employment practices liability, directors & officers liability and bad faith avoidance. Her experience includes coverage matters involving medical/health care facilities professional care homes, assisted living facilities, and skilled nursing facilities. She frequently lectures on insurance coverage and bad faith issues.
Her 26 years of litigation experience includes trial practice in Washington, Oregon, Georgia, Hawaii, and California. Shauna prides herself on her ability to aggressively advocate for her clients while maintaining a strong sense of professionalism and collegiality.
Shauna acts as the pro bono coordinator for the Seattle office of Cozen O’Connor. The Northwest Immigrant Rights Project has honored her with its Amicus Award for spearheading pro bono efforts on behalf of immigration and asylum clients.
She has represented many immigrants in asylum proceedings and has had the honor of handling reparations claims on behalf of Holocaust survivors. She has also been nominated as Outstanding Mentor by the Washington Young Lawyers for her efforts in mentoring young attorneys.
Shauna earned her Bachelor of Science and her law degree from the University of Washington in 1988 and 1992, respectively. She rowed for the women’s crew team during her undergraduate career, and while in law school, she was a member of the Moot Court Honor Board and Order of Barristers. In her spare time, Shauna enjoys spending time with her family and traveling in the great Northwest and beyond.
- Successful summary judgment of dismissal of a $2.25M legal malpractice claim involving an admitted mistake by a lawyer. This result was affirmed on appeal.
- Successful summary judgment of dismissal of bad faith claims arising from an insurer’s filing of a declaratory judgment action while providing a defense to the insured.
- Successful summary judgment of dismissal in an escrow agent malpractice case involving alleged notarization of a forged signature.
- Successful summary judgment of dismissal of a $3M legal malpractice claim involving alleged failure to properly advise clients regarding settlement. This result was affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully opposed summary judgment in a construction defect lawsuit involving failure of a home’s foundation.
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Washington, B.S., 1988
BAR ADMISSIONS : Washington
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Washington Supreme Court
- King County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Women Lawyers
Rate : $$$$