In 2016, Shawn Oller was named one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AzBusiness Magazine and featured as “20 Names to Know – Law” by the Phoenix Business Journal. Shawn is a trial lawyer who represents management and companies in all aspects of employment litigation arbitration, and mediation.
He practices in federal and state courts in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, and before and against federal agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and comparable state agencies. He has extensive experience defending harassment and discrimination claims under :
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- The Arizona Employment Protection Act
- The Arizona Civil Rights Act
Some of his notable decisions in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas include :
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona: defense verdict against the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in trial of retaliation case under the Americans with Disabilities Act, following dismissal of disability discrimination claim on summary judgment.
- District Court, El Paso, Texas: obtained dismissal with prejudice of nonsubscriber negligence claim for health-care client.
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona: obtained summary judgment against 19 “class” members in sexual harassment case filed by Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Arizona Attorney General’s Office.
- Superior Court of Arizona: obtained summary judgment on behalf of municipality against 1100+ members of class and, later, decertifying class as to remaining 35 individuals.
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas: dismissal of FMLA claim against trucking company because truck driver was ineligible for FMLA benefits.
Additionally, Shawn regularly counsels employers on day-to-day personnel matters and practices and compliance, offers telephone advice, and conducts in-house training on employment-related topics.
Shawn has spoken extensively on a variety of labor issues before business and professional associations. He taught review courses as part of the PHR/SPHR Certification program, as well as a 15-hour seminar course for graduate students on alternative dispute resolution.
- J.D., Baylor University School of Law, 1995
- B.S., Northeastern University, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, State Bar of New Mexico
- Member, State Bar of Texas
Rate : $$$$