Shawn Willis is a partner in the Charleston office of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP and has an interdisciplinary practice that includes the areas of corporate law, tax, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, financing, and property tax appeals.
His clients are in various industry groups including energy, agriculture, timber, technology, manufacturing, hospitality, retail, financial services, real estate development, and nonprofit organizations. In connection with his real estate practice, Shawn is a licensed title insurance agent in the state of South Carolina.
Additionally, his practice also includes acting as outside general counsel for community associations, such as commercial and residential property owners associations and condominium regimes, with an emphasis on large-scale homeowners associations.
- The University of Alabama, LLM, Taxation (2011)
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD (2003)
- Furman University, BA, History (2000)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- Represents solar energy developers as lead and local counsel in the development of utility-scale projects, including site acquisition, title insurance, land use planning, economic incentives, property taxes, project finance, and project disposition. Recent projects across the Southeastern United States have ranged in size from 1MW to 100 MW
- Represents entities and individuals in partnership tax planning, including reorganizations, acquisitions, and dispositions. Recent projects include structuring and negotiating limited liability company (LLC) operating agreements involving real estate development projects, medical practices, and credit facilities involving noncompensatory options
- Represents institutional lenders as lead and local lender’s counsel on commercial loan originations, modifications, workouts, foreclosures, and bank-owned (REO) property dispositions. Recent loan originations include a more than $42 million multi-tenant office building acquisition loan and a $6 million revolving credit facility for a regional homebuilder
- South Carolina Bar, Member Tax Section; Probate, Estate Planning, and Trust Section; Corporate, Banking and Securities Law Section; Real Estate Section; Leadership Academy Committee
- Charleston County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- American Bar Association
Rate : $$$$