Shilpi Gupta is head of the M&A/Corporate Group in Skadden’s Chicago office, concentrating on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and other corporate governance and securities matters.
Mr. Gupta has represented companies acting as acquirers or sellers, as well as investment banking clients, in mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, takeovers, venture capital transactions, restructurings, joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
He also has represented issuers and investment banking institutions in initial and other public offerings, private placements of securities and high-yield debt transactions.
In addition, Mr. Gupta advises clients regarding general corporate and securities matters, including securities law compliance, corporate governance issues, disclosure issues, stock repurchase programs, shareholder agreements, severance arrangements and proxy contests. Mr. Gupta has represented, among others:
- Ball Corporation and Rexam PLC in the $3.4 billion sale of select metal beverage can assets, support locations and functions in Europe, Brazil and the United States to Ardagh Group S.A;
- American Capital, Ltd. in its sale to Ares Capital Corporation, excluding American Capital Mortgage Management, LLC, for $3.43 billion and its sale of American Capital Mortgage Management to American Capital Agency Corp. for $562 million;
- Visteon Corporation, a manufacturer of auto parts, in the $3.6 billion sale of its 70 percent stake in Halla Visteon Climate Control Corp. to an affiliate of Hahn & Company and Hankook Tire Co., Ltd.;
- Digital River, an e-commerce outsourcing company, in its $840 million acquisition by an investor group led by Siris Capital Group;
- Visteon Corporation in the $1.5 billion sale of its 50 percent stake in Yanfeng Visteon Automotive Trim Systems Co., Ltd., a joint venture between Visteon and Huayu Automotive Systems Co., Ltd. (HASCO), to HASCO;
- Kraft Foods Group, Inc. in its $26.3 billion spin-off from Kraft Foods, Inc. After closing, Kraft Foods, Inc. was renamed Mondelez International, Inc.;
- National Steel Corporation in the sale of substantially all of its assets for $1.05 billion to United States Steel Corporation;
- OAO Severstal in the formation of and investment in its $880 million newly created joint venture SeverCorr and its $285 million acquisition out of bankruptcy of substantially all of the assets of Rouge Industries, Inc.;
Mr. Gupta also has represented financial advisors and underwriters in connection with various securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions transactions. Mr. Gupta has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of America’s leading lawyers for business. He also has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for M&A.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1994
- B.S., Columbia University, 1991
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$