Sidney S. Welch is a nationally recognized strategic advisor to large specialty physician practices & associations and technology companies in their cutting edge and traditional healthcare, transactional, and litigation needs.
She serves as strategic regulatory counsel, providing counsel to clients regarding tomorrow’s healthcare, including mhealth and digital health ventures; telehealth; precision medicine; artificial intelligence & machine learning; data aggregation & analytics; health information privacy & security; and advanced payment & delivery models.
Sidney also works with clients to achieve their business objectives against the constantly developing regulatory environment, including the federal Anti-Kickback Statute; Stark I, II & III; the False Claims Act; HIPAA, HITECH, and Omnibus privacy & security regulations; state self-referral laws, fee-splitting, and corporate practice of medicine.
On the transactional front, Sidney provides legal counsel in the merger and acquisition of physician practices and healthcare technology companies, as well as private equity offerings, and joint venture opportunities.
She also provides representation in quasi-litigation and litigation matters, including False Claims Act mediation and litigation; Medicare & Medicaid reimbursement issues, investigations, audits, and appeals; state medical licensure investigations and hearing; medical staff bylaws, credentialing, and hearings.
Sidney is a frequent speaker and author in these novel areas of healthcare and technology, has served in leadership roles for the American Bar Association’s Health Law Section and American Health Lawyers Association, and co-chaired healthcare innovation efforts for two national law firms. She holds joint degrees in law and public health and serves as an adjunct professor at the Georgia State University College of Law.
- J.D., Samford University Cumberland School of Law, 1995, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, Associate Editor
- M.P.H., George Washington University, 1993, Merit Scholarship
- B.A., Davidson College, 1990
Admissions : Georgia
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Council Member, 2014-Present; Health & Well-Being Committee, Co-Chair; Physician Issues Interest Group, Chair; Physician Legal Issues Planning Committee, Chair
- American Health Lawyers Association, Physicians Organizations Practice Group, Vice Chair
- American Society of Medical Association Counsel, President, 2016-Present
- Harvard Debate Council Diversity Program, Board Member, 2017-2018; Advisory Board, 2018-Present
- State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section, Member; Diversity Committee, Member
- Atlanta Bar Association, Member
- YWCA Atlanta, Board Member, 2011-2016
- Fernbank Museum, Corporate Council Member, 2011-2015
- Leadership Atlanta, Member, Class of 2011
- Atlanta Women’s Foundation, Planning Committee for Women in Medicine Event; Grant Making Committee, Member
- Link Counseling Center, Board Member, 2006-2010
- Georgia Cancer Foundation, Board Member, 2001-2009
Rate : $$$$