Siran S. Faulders focuses her practice on representing client who are being investigated or sued by state attorneys general and other regulators on claims involving deceptive trade practices. Siran is a partner in the firm’s State Attorneys General and Enforcement Actions & Investigations practices.
As such, she advises clients on a wide variety of state and federal regulatory matters, with a special emphasis on state consumer protection laws, including matters involving consumer financial services, data security, advertising and marketing.
A former Senior Assistant Attorney General, Siran uses expertise gained in public service to resolve issues with state investigators and has represented clients in an array of industries, including tobacco, pharmaceuticals, debt buying, credit reporting, small dollar lending, “big box” retailers, automobile sales, data collection and home service contracts, among others.
A skilled negotiator, Siran is widely recognized for her diplomacy and her success in negotiating favorable settlements for her clients.
Active in national Attorney General organizations, Siran is well known by officeholders and their key staff, and she has addressed those organizations on matters related to data security, a hot topic among state regulators.
In addition to representing clients in single and multi-state enforcement actions, Siran’s practice includes representation of parents and their children in special education matters.
Representative Matters :
- Represent financial services companies in Attorney General investigations/litigation involving lending practices.
- Represented major utility in developing support among state Attorneys General for amicus briefs and other multistate actions on environmental regulatory issues.
- Represented Indian tribe in connection with tobacco escrow demands by multiple state Attorneys General, achieving settlements and court resolutions.
- Co-leader of team representing nationwide home service contract company in response to inquiries and investigations from 17 States.
- Represented agricultural biotechnology company in connection with coordinated federal/state antitrust investigation.
- Represented pharmaceutical trade association with regard to nationwide state Attorney General probe into marketing and pricing issues.
- Represented parents of children with disabilities in disputes with local school divisions over special education programs. Practice included IEP meetings, administrative hearings and federal appeals.
- Represented disabled child unlawfully restrained and verbally abused by school personnel, achieving settlement following successful litigation before Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented state Medicaid agency in federal lawsuit brought by transportation providers seeking major rate increases, successfully mediating multi-million dollar settlement.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, ABA Committee on State Attorneys General and Department of Justice Issues
- Former Member, Governor’s Advisory Board on Child Abuse and Neglect, appointed by three Attorneys General (1996-2004)
- Member, Virginia State Bar, 13th Circuit Committee for the Resolution of Fee Disputes
Professional Experience : Section Chief and Senior Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General of Virginia, 1994-2003
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Bates College, B.A.
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Rate : $$$$