Smith R. Brittingham concentrates on intellectual property litigation. He has extensive experience in the trial and appellate courts, and he has particular expertise in cases before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). Smith currently serves as leader of the firm’s ITC litigation practice.
Smith joined Finnegan after serving as a senior investigative attorney with the ITC’s Office of Unfair Import Investigations. He has been involved in more than 60 ITC investigations and more than 25 ITC trials, as well as trials in U.S. district courts and appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Smith handles ITC investigations in a wide range of technologies, including semiconductor processing, semiconductor chip architecture, computer and networking technologies, cellular telephones, light-emitting diodes, industrial chemicals, digital processing and satellite technologies, and rare earth magnets, as well as cases involving design patents, trademarks, and trade dress claims.
Before working at the ITC, Smith worked in private practice for more than five years, concentrating on civil litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts and general antitrust counseling.
Several publications have recognized Smith as a leader in ITC practice, including Chambers USA, The Legal 500 U.S., and Intellectual Asset Management, which also named him a leading patent litigator in the D.C. area.
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law J.D., with honors, 1987
- Oberlin College B.A., Chemistry and Government, 1984
- Ohio Court of Appeals, Eighth District, Hon. Richard M. Markus
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Professional Activities :
- American Bar Association (Section on Intellectual Property Law)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Rate : $$$$