R. Spencer Clift, shareholder in the Memphis office, assists clients in a diverse array of bankruptcy and general commercial litigation matters, including troubled debt recovery and workouts, the recovery or restructuring of commercial loans, foreclosures, and other aspects of commercial litigation for institutional lenders and businesses.
Mr. Clift represents numerous financial institutions in targeted efforts to recover and restructure commercial loans, including CMBS Servicers, as well as numerous other clients in state and federal courts involved in complex commercial litigation matters.
Mr. Clift represents secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy courts across the country handling numerous contested matters and adversary proceedings arising in any commercial or consumer bankruptcy case.
Mr. Clift frequently speaks and lectures on bankruptcy and commercial litigation issues, and he is the author of numerous articles and publications in the areas of his practice. He has served as the moot court coach for law students at the University of Memphis participating in the Annual Chief Judge Conrad B. Duberstein National Bankruptcy Memorial Moot Court Competition.
He served as Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Tennessee Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Executive Council in 2009. Currently, Mr. Clift is on the Board of Directors for the Bankruptcy Section of the Memphis Bar Association and the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Clift served as a federal law clerk for the Honorable David S. Kennedy, the Chief Bankruptcy Judge of the Western District of Tennessee from 1999 until 2003.
- Samford University, Cumberland College of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 1996, magna cum laude
- Alabama, 2000
- Tennessee, 2000
- Mississippi, 2001
- Western District Tennessee
- Southern District Mississippi
- Western District Arkansas
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Board of Directors of the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – Board of Directors, Memphis Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section)
- Member and Former Chairman – Tennessee Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Executive Council
- Member – American Inns of Court (2006 – 2009)
- Chairman Admissions Committee, University Club of Memphis (2010)
Rate : $$$$