Stacey L. McGraw guides some of the most sophisticated professional liability insurance carriers in the country in building efficient strategies to manage risks and prevent costly litigation. Her knowledge spans a variety of rapidly shifting industries, including technology.
Stacey’s practice focuses on providing advice and representation to major professional liability insurance carriers with respect to coverage issues, ultimate exposure and underwriting strategy.
She advises clients on matters involving complex insurance policies for directors and officers (D&O) and other professionals, including those in quickly growing areas of technology, telecommunications and media.
She frequently represents directors and officers and other professional liability carriers at private and court-ordered mediations. Stacey also has defended professionals, including attorneys, against allegations of malpractice, and has represented nonprofits in litigation and in other contexts.
Representative Matters :
- Filed declaratory judgment actions on behalf of insurance carriers in claims involving terms of coverage, disclosures in applications for coverage and existence of other insurance.
- Defended insurers in coverage litigation concerning the terms of public and private company D&O policies.
- Represented a cyber liability insurer in connection with litigation on the terms of insurance coverage for a data breach.
- Defended an insurance client against the claimant’s efforts in underlying litigation to obtain the insurer’s files.
- Defended the board of directors of a nonprofit in court and arbitration proceedings against employment and defamation claims.
- Advised nonprofit boards on corporate governance questions.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Member, Editorial Board, PLUS Journal
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, Echols Scholar, 1990
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$