J. Stan Sexton focuses his practice on complex litigation, usually involving scientific, technical or medical issues, including products liability, professional liability, environmental, insurance and health care law.
He is tasked with the effective and efficient deployment of technology solutions within the firm. Stan is a frequent CLE lecturer, author on trial procedure and trial practice and teacher of Shook’s trial advocacy program courses in Basic Litigation Skills and Advanced Trial Workshop.
Stan graduated from the Kansas Institute of Trial Advocacy NITA Program in 1978. Prior to the start of his legal career, Stan served in the U.S. Navy from 1970 to 1974 as a surface warfare officer aboard ship, chief staff officer of a Coastal River Division and officer-in-charge of PTF-17.
- Gunter et al. v. KCP&L Greater Missouri Operations (Case No. 10 CA-CV01079, Circuit Court, Cass County, Mo.) (May 11, 2012) – Defense verdict in employee’s wrongful death claim from mesothelioma following 34-year history of exposure to asbestos at power plant.
- Rodriguez et al. v. General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products, District of Hawaii (Case No. CV-08-00189 SOM-KSC) (November 30, 2010) – Unanimous defense verdict in six-week wrongful death and injury trial involving four soldiers killed or injured in explosion of 81mm mortar during pre-Afghanistan deployment training exercise.
- National trial counsel in cell phone, security alarm, fire alarm and fire suppression industry cases, including the valuation of damaged aircraft for insurers.
- Tried 35 cases to jury-verdict conclusion, most of which were multiweek, complex cases.
- Handled numerous class action cases involving contract and consumer fraud issues in state and federal courts, including multidistrict litigation (MDL) cases.
- Drafted state and federal legislation and testified three times before U.S. Congressional Committees on surface transportation and agricultural issues.
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 1977
- Kansas Law Review, Note and Comment Editor, Associate Editor
- B.A., University of Kansas, 1970
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Tort Section; Personal Injury Section
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow; Science and Technology in the Courtroom Committee
- Defense Research Institute; Toxic Tort Committee
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
Rate : $$$$