Stefanie H. Jackman devotes her practice to assisting financial services institutions facing state and federal government investigations and examinations, counseling them on complex compliance issues, as well as defending them in individual and class action lawsuits.
Stefanie represents clients across the financial services industry, including banks and nonbanks, mortgage banking lenders and servicers, debt collectors and buyers, third-party service providers, medical revenue cycle service providers, credit and prepaid card companies, and auto lenders.
She regularly advises her clients on issues arising under an array of federal and state consumer financial laws, including UDAP/UDAAP statutes, FDCPA, FCRA, TCPA, EFTA, SCRA, and TILA.
Stefanie also brings her litigation and enforcement experience to bear in assisting clients in designing new products and processes, including product structure, advertising, online application flows, underwriting, and collection and loss mitigation strategies.
In addition to her litigation and government investigations work, Stefanie focuses a significant portion of her practice on providing compliance-related advice to her clients.
She regularly counsels clients on conducting compliance assessments relating to their debt collection, fair lending and underwriting, credit reporting, and vendor management processes, as well as the functionality of their overall compliance management system.
Stefanie also is a member of Ballard Spahr’s Fair Lending Team, Marketplace Lending Team, and Virtual Currency Team. She is a frequent lecturer on the subject of consumer financial services law and CFPB compliance at major industry conferences.
Representative Matters :
- Represented multiple financial services companies in responding to civil investigative demands issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in areas including auto finance, short-term lending, student loan servicing, mortgages, credit cards, payment processing, credit card add-on products, and debt collection
- Defending clients in investigations and examinations from state attorneys general and state financial services regulators
- Providing ongoing fair lending advice to clients, including reviews of scoring models used in underwriting and fraud prevention, reviews of judgmental underwriting processes, reviews of advertising models and strategies, and the handling of limited English proficiency (LEP) consumers
- Representing multiple financial services companies in connection with TCPA class actions and consumer arbitrations
- Represented large bank in multiple ACH payment processing putative class actions
- Conducting internal compliance assessments and mock regulatory examinations for financial services companies evaluating auto lending, collections, credit reporting, and potential UDAAP issues.
Professional Activities :
- Consumer Relations Consortium (CRC) Steering Committee
- Receivables Management Association (RMA) Education Committee
- American Bar Association
- Barrister, The Lamar American Inn of Court, affiliated with Emory University School of Law
- Emory University School of Law (J.D. 2006, with honors), Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal; Member, Order of Barristers
- University of Vermont (B.A. 2003, magna cum laude), Member, Phi Beta Kappa; John Dewey Scholar.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Rate : $$$