Stephanie A. Kanan focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation. She represents clients from a variety of industries in both state and federal courts. She has experience in commercial disputes, corporate governance and shareholder disputes, consumer lending litigation for institutional clients, contract negotiations, real estate and construction litigation, and insurance coverage disputes.
As a former trial attorney at the Colorado State Public Defender’s Office, Stephanie has tried many cases to verdict and has extensive courtroom experience.
Stephanie also has experience with various bankruptcy-related matters, such as recovering and distributing assets, negotiating and forming reorganization plans, and litigating adversary proceedings.
She has represented Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 trustees, as well as secured and unsecured creditors, in litigating preference claims, avoidance actions and relief from stay proceedings.
Representative Matters :
- Represented an infrastructure management solutions company in a multi-million dollar lawsuit related to power disruption at a computer chip making plant.
- Represented midstream oil and gas company in breach of contract and bad faith denial of insurance coverage dispute arising out of the construction of a pipeline.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee at trial involving various fraud claims, including fraudulent conveyance, breach of fiduciary duty, and civil conspiracy.
- Represented members in a limited liability company asserting individual and derivative claims in an action against other members for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy and dissolution of the company.
- Represented financial institution in complex federal litigation involving a trust benefitting an heir to the one of the largest private companies in America.
- Represented financial institution in many matters following its purchase of assets from the FDIC.
- University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Recipient, Public Service Pledge Award
- Public Interest Student Association, Secretary
- Diversity Awareness Now, Vice President
- University of Puget Sound (B.A., Political Science, 2003)
Professional Memberships and Activities :
- Colorado LGBT Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Other Professional Experience :
- Lindquist & Vennum, LLP, Associate (2013-2016)
- Colorado State Public Defender’s Office, Trial Attorney (2010-2013)
Bar Admissions : Colorado
Court Admissions : Supreme Court of Colorado
Rate : $$$